Wednesday, April 27, 2005

The Gardener

What's a journey without a little angst? Lacking the actual superpower of mindreading, I am limited to second-guessing the thoughts and plans of those who have a controlling interest in my current career path. The company I work for is getting bigger. Responsibilities are shifting. I sometimes worry about my place in this shift.
I am particularly good at helping people realize and meet their potential. It's quite a rush when you get to watch someone do something they didn't think they could do. Empowering someone to meet their potential, encouraging them to accept the challenge, and helping them succeed is a very heady feeling.
Then, one day, you realize people you have helped are ready to move on. They don't need you anymore. Your company recognizes the talent you have nurtured and helped to grow. They see the beauty of the garden, but not the value of the gardener.
This creates an inner emotional battle for me. I am so happy to have been a part of an individual's growth, and ultimately contributed to the success of my company. On the flip side, I am sometimes a bit jealous. I occasionally miss that feeling of accomplishing something others thought was impossible. And every now and then, I really wish my company would recognize the value of the gardener.

No comments: